Friday, December 05, 2008

Just a Game

Recently Portugal is considering invading its neighbour. Not that it was on the news, its just a public secret that the current Portugese king has a dislike for his royal neighbour.

The King has not forgotten the last time a war erupted between their countries. Sure the Portugese were dragged into the war because they vouched for the Germans, but the sight of enemy cavalry on Portuguse soil was something that needed to be revenged.

Off course there are some downsides to declaring war: relations with the neighbour are good and they share the same religion. There is always a possibility that their neighbour finds some allies, but the Portugese King knowns he needs ports on the west coast of the continent to supplement the only east coast harbor he has.

If you are thinking what the hell this post is about and you did not hear about this, its because I am writing of civilization 4. I am currently playing as the portugese King. I am pretty much the most powerfull country on my continent but I don't have west coast ports. My neighbour, the Vikings, have plenty of ports on the west coast and we did fight a small war early in the game. They have the ports, fought already a war with us and threathen my left flank. Plenty of reasons to invade them. But they have the same religion and are currently the only friendly nation (besides my two vassals the germans and numedians), so somewhere in my heart i feel reluctant to invade.

But its just a computer game!!! Yet each time I play Civ I feel amazed of how the game manages to convince me that my computer opponents are real. Just like the last mission I flew in RAF:ETO. It's amazing how games can create the illusion that what you see is real, that your ai buddies are real. It makes all the decisions you make real, despite the fact that its just a game.

But know I have to go. My Portugese knights are ready to invade viking territory.

No comments: