Friday, November 07, 2008

I've lived

I recently read this article by leigh alexander: industry apologetics - It's not Just A Game. I admit I am a bit late in reading it (the original article dates from june 2008) but as many gamers I am used to getingt the look when people hear I play computer games (especially as a mid thirties guy).

How can I defend my hobby against those who find it lame or who think it's a past time training youth to become killers. for all those I first you check the Playstation 2 ad below.



That commercial sums up what's gaming all about: it's not just a game, its a way of experiencing life, especially those lives we would probably never have in reality.

How many of us have commanded armies, who of us have won the world cup, who of us have tried to run a crime syndicate? Those are all things that are out of reach of most common folks, but thanks to computers we can taste life without risk for life and limb.

But what most gamers and almost all non-gamers fail to appreciate is that, the lessons learned in our gaming sessions, don't take place in a vacuum. What we do in games echoes through our mind. As I go to sleep, I realise that what I have done in a game also happens, happened or will happen in real life. The virtual knowledge gained in games, helps me to make up my mind for real life events.

So never say, it's just a game, it's an experience, a lesson in life learned in the virtual world.

Happy flying

No comments: