Monday, July 07, 2008

WOE:BC Update 9

I thought i had it figured all out. The last Soviet and East-German fighters were added to the campaign. All the hangar and loading screens for the allied fighters were ready. All I had to do was run through the campaign file one more time, checking the right weapon quantities for each squadron and checking that the introduction text was right. Then I would have time to spend time on an uncharted territory (for me at least) in WOE: the target ini.

But last week I got this reaction on my post on combatace:

some comments to improve "realism" a bit

Only small details, nothing to really worry about but hell, why not? If think that hornets equipped for CAS wouldn't be loaded with AIM-7...they would preferably load some nav/weapons aiming pods

Second very disturbing detail (for me as I was on base during that campaign period ;-) ); any air to air duty for a belgian F-16 would have been assigned to a 1 wing (349 or 350 sqn) block 10 bird. Kleine brogel's 10 Wing was only trained for mud moving missions back then.

And althoug it's not often the case, the 6 sidewinder config exists and does from time to time show...but in 1989, no AIM-9L for Belgium, only P and N
The comment itself was more then welcome, since my initial goal was to have a realistic campaign within the limits of the game and my modding talents. So I set out to search through the weapondata ini to make sure that Belgian F-16's get P or N sidewinder models. Up till that point I had been using bunyap's weaponspack and considered it to be the holy scripture. But now I discovered the entries are sometimes not correct, with AttachmentTypes missing or years set wrong.

This is of course not the fault of bunyap. He released the weaponspack in July 2006 and the community has not been sitting idle in those two years: new aircraft have been added, perhaps not designed with his weaponspack in mind.

So instead of reverse-engineering the target ini, I now have to spent time on writing my own weapondata ini. But it ain't that bad after all, at least I can recheck all my weapon choices, post them on combatace for review by the community. And if I find something that does not work, like racks that don't work properly, I can create a mod myself, fixing the problem.

So please don't expect me to release this campaign very soon, instead keep an eye out on combatace, because you will get to see a lot of posts from me.

Hapy Flying

No comments: