Monday, October 06, 2008

WIP - Pilotskins

When I select and edit aircraft for the campaign, I edit a number of items in the original files:

  • The loadout file - to make sure that the aircraft has a realistic and contemporary weaponsload
  • Hangar and loading screen - I usuallt create new ones to have the same style of screens for all the aircraft
  • The pilotmodel.

Most modders don't provide their aircraft with the pilotskin they selected in the aircraft ini file. As a result the game reverts back to the default pilotskin.

The default thirdwire pilotskin

But those red and white squared helmets look a bit dull, especially when every pilot (including the enemy) wears them. You can always download customized pilotskins from sites like Wrench Strike Fighter page. Unfortunetaly Wrench does not have all possible helmet variations so I quickly learned how to edit the skin and create my own pilots (check here for a
tutorial
).

After having created some skins, I off course wanted to share them with the community. Alas I had not read the fine print on Wrench's page. As soon as I uploaded the skins, I got a friendly mail from Diego Lozano. In it he requested to remove the skin if it was based on his work. His reason for the request is unknown to me, but from what I could gather on the forums , it has to do with a dispute regarding credit or ownership of the skins. Since the models were based on his work, I obliged and removed the skins.

But now I got stuck again with the default skins! So I started looking for other pilotskins I could edit and which are distributed under the freeware licensing agreement. That's when I stumbled on the excellent work of AmokFloo.

The original AmokFloo pilot models

He created a basic set of 6 pilotmodels (3 sets of 60/70's helmets and 3 sets of modern helmets). But what sets his models appart from the default pilots is that with one skin file you can have 3 different pilotmodels:
  • mask on, visor up
  • mask off, visor up
  • mask off, visor down
F-14 Pilot and Rio

This comes handy in two-seater aircraft: I can use the same pilotskin, but use a different model for rio and pilot. Using different combinations allows to create some variety in the pilots that appear in the aircraft (although I am still limited to the same pilotmodel per aircraft)

When I started using AmokFloo's models I noticed that one variation was still missing: mask on, visor down. I send him a mail and a couple of weeks later I got the two extra lod files for each helmet era. AmokFloo has not yet released them on combat ace, but I hope he will so that everybody can use them.

mask on, visor down

Since I only include on squadron per aircraft type in the campaign I can create helmets per squadron. I usually use the same combination of helmet and visor color, but add a personal touch by adding the squadron insignia to the helmet. It's a small touch which most players won't notice, but at least each squadron has it's unique helmet and nobody flies with that horrendous default helmet.

Happy Flying

KingAlbert

PS below are some examples of the different squadron helmets

VFA-25

VA-66

4th FW


No comments: